Laminate flooring is an incredibly popular flooring option. There are several great reasons why more and more Calgary homeowners are choosing this flooring. It captures the beauty and essence of hardwood floors and is a good option for people who are looking for the cool classiness of hardwood floors but on a budget.
So, if you are planning to refurbish your house or are in the market for a new one that has laminate floorings, you must get to know this flooring better.
This guide will serve as a primer for all your questions about laminate floors and how to make the most of them.
What is Laminate Flooring?
Around since the 1970s, laminate flooring is a composite multi-layered flooring material that’s designed to be sturdy and stylish at the same time.
Laminate flooring is made up of three layers and each one plays a specific role in lending it strength and durability. These include:
- The backing layer, made of paper or melamine. This helps in stabilizing the laminate floor and reduces the impact of moisture.
- Substrate or core layer, which is made of a medium or high-density fibreboard.
- Photographic layer, is also known as the pattern or decorative layer. This layer gives the laminate flooring its wood-like appearance. It is made up of realistic colours and sheen ink to give the floor an illusion of depth.
- Wear layer or the protective layer that is usually made of aluminum oxide and lends the floor a glossy sheen. This layer is also essential for preventing the penetration of water and moisture into the floor.
Why Is Laminate Flooring Popular?
Laminate flooring has innate benefits when compared to other flooring surfaces, especially hardwood flooring. Here are some of them:
- It is a very durable flooring, perfect for active households with pets and kids.
- One of the biggest advantages of laminate flooring is that it mimics the look of hardwood floors. It can even be made to appear in embossed, distressed, and hand-scraped textures.
- It has a high resistance to scratches, dents, and staining.
- This flooring is easy to clean and maintain. All you need is a mop and a broom to keep your floors looking like new.
- These floors are incredibly easy to install as a simply DIY project without the use of grout, mortar, or even glue.
- Laminate floors make the perfect flooring choice for areas such as living and dining rooms, kitchens, offices, and even bathrooms.
Laminate flooring, with proper care and maintenance, can last up to two or three decades. While there are steps that you can take at home to keep them clean, it is always advised to call in professionals to have a look at your floors from time to time. At Home Floors, our teams of experienced flooring specialists have helped thousands of Calgary families create beautiful homes. You can get in touch with us at (403) 984-4100. Drop in at our store at 423 58th Avenue S.E., Calgary, Alberta, T2H 0P5.