Hey You! It’s me, the carpet. I am talking to you!
Do my stains dictate the way you place furniture on me? I know the reason the potted plant is sitting so far into the living room. It’s because it is covering a red wine spill from aunt Agnus’ 60th birthday party. The loveseat is positioned at that crazy angle to coverup that pee stain from Rex when he was a puppy. That was FIVE years ago. These are signs that it might be time to replace me. I am old, worn out, and ugly. It’s time to put me out to pasture. Your “creative” furniture alignments and positioning are no longer fooling anyone.
We carpets generally last about ten years, though you can increase our longevity by up to another ten years with proper care. Us carpet’s durability depends on a wide variety of factors. One such factor is what type of carpet we are. Our longevity can also depends on what kind of care we have received since we were laid down. Our survival can often depend on how regularly we get cleaned. Of course, our longevity also depends on how much you walk on us over time. Here are some telltale signs that we carpets need replacing.
- Matting- When the pile on us carpets is matted down – and stays matted down – it is a sign that we will need replacing. Matting will first begin in our high traffic areas. Initially, professionally cleaning us carpets may bring back our bounce for a bit. But, soon, the pile will remain packed, and this is a sure sign a new carpet is needed.
- Wear and Tear- After a time, we will show wear and tear. There will be rips, frays, and those stains I mentioned earlier. When these damaged areas start showing, it’s time to replace us old rugs.
- Stinky / Smelly- As with any type of cloth, we carpets absorb odours over time. These smells could be from pets, from mould, or something wet dropped on us. Regardless, odours will eventually from us carpets will eventually start stinking up the joint. If these scents remain even after you have professionally had us cleaned, then it is probably time to replace us with a brand new carpet.
- Carpet Padding- The padding under us carpets absorb sound, make the floor soft to walk on, and even adds to the insulation. Over time, the underlay can become stained, it wrinkles or bunches up, and it can also hold smells. If you see bumps on us or you can feel crinkling underfoot, it is time for a new carpet – including the underlay or carpet padding.
- Allergy Attacks & Health Issues– We carpets can be the cause of a lot of nasty little health problems. We don’t mean to be, but that’s what happens when we lay around all day. These problems are especially real for those who suffer from allergies or respiratory issues, including asthma. If you or someone in your family wakes up frequently and is finding it difficult to breathe or is coughing, it is a good idea to consider a new carpet.
All of the above are signs that it is time to consider a new carpet. And of course, you must also consider the age of us rugs. Older carpets will eventually fall apart. Some of us rugs will last longer than others. This longevity depends on the material we are made out of or how well we have been taken care of. While there are many reasons to consider purchasing a new carpet, sometimes the best reason is aesthetics. Are we carpets severely out of date? Do we belong in the 1950s and would be perfect for a Happy Days TV set? Are we a sh-sh-shag carpet from the 1970s? Yikes, that could be frightening. Some may call it retro and love the design idea; but, do not forget the Petrie dish of dust and dirt and bacteria. If we are ugly, dirty, and worn out, then it is undoubtedly time for a new carpet.