The prairie-steppe climate of Calgary ensures that both its summer and winter months remain sunny. While rains come during the summer months, Calgary generally enjoys quite a dry climate making it an ideal location for the use of hardwood floors. These floors not only offer welcome relief during the cold winter months, they also ensure that summers remain comfortable.
Another factor which makes hardwood flooring a popular option especially in Calgary, is the attractive old world charm that is prevalent in every hardwood installation. Both the visual appeal and the durability and longevity of the wood endear it to most homeowners who, despite the high cost, opt for this type of flooring. There are, however, other benefits too attached to the choice of hardwood as a flooring alternative. These benefits pertain to:
- Ease of installation: Hardwood is generally available in the form of tiles or planks. These tiles and planks come in specific lengths with predefined width. Thus it is very easy to obtain quality products in the required size and amount and install the hardwood floor. In fact if a person has experience, he can even do it himself without having to take professional help. Thus hardwood installation is not only easy, it is also relatively inexpensive.
- Needs almost no maintenance: Hardwood flooring is quite low maintenance. In fact vacuuming the floor once a day is enough to keep it clean and looking nice. Liquid spills can be taken care of by mopping immediately and allowing the place to dry naturally. On the other hand scratches and dents tend to add to the character of hardwood, especially as they age. Additionally polishing them annually and refinishing them once every few years help to prolong its life and also keep it looking shiny and new.
- Durability: This is one factor where hardwood scores over almost all other flooring option. The durability of hardwood depends on the quality of wood used and a good quality hardwood floor, though expensive, has the ability to outlive one whole generation. Hence investing in a good hardwood floor is like leaving a legacy behind for the other generations to enjoy. Of course over a period of time, with regular use, hardwood floors too tend to get scratched, dinged or even suffer some other form of wear and tear. But these are easy to deal with since just a little cleaning and refinishing using a polyurethane coating makes the hardwood floor look new again.
- Variety: Hardwood floors have always been individually unique. This stems from the fact that wood obtained from trees of different species or different trees of the same species never have the same grains. Since it is these grains which give hardwood its beauty and charm, the variety that is possible in hardwood is unmatched and unimaginable. Sizes, styles and colours, either unfinished and raw or prefinished, the choices are enormous and almost unlimited. The only limiting factor is the price of the same which tends to be a bit on the higher side but it is also possible to get the best return on the money invested in a hardwood floor.
- Makes for a healthy home: Since cleaning requires just a simple vacuuming, the scope for the accumulation of dirt and allergens is limited. Thus, as with a carpet flooring, the accumulated dirt and allergens also do not get trapped and stay for long. This improves the air quality of the room and also makes for the best flooring especially if there are kids and elderly people living. Thus hardwood floors are the healthier flooring option because it is naturally obtained and also because dirt and disease causing pathogens seldom get a chance to settle down and incubate.
- Add value to homes: The installation of hardwood flooring is always a good future investment. This is because, hardwood floors add value to the house where they are installed. This effectively means that when trying to sell a house having hardwood flooring any time in the future, they fetch more money than they would otherwise have; thus giving better returns on the money invested.
These advantages combined with the beautiful weather of Calgary make for a perfect combination of beauty and practicality; thus making it almost mandatory for homes in Calgary to opt for hardwood flooring.