The atmosphere of the room is defines by the flooring option it flaunts. Hence in order to ensure that the room exudes welcoming warmth while at the same time looks extremely elegant, it is very important to look at the various flooring options available. While some may be very popular others may yet to gain the popularity they deserve. Each option, however, has its own set of advantages and disadvantages which need to be taken into consideration before finalising on one option.
Some of the more popular and common flooring options found in and around Calgary are:
- Hardwood: This option is the perfect combination of beauty with utility. These floors are good to look at, easy to use and maintain and also have a very good resale value. In fact for the maintenance of the shine and the newness, hardwood floors only ever require vacuuming on a daily basis. But this flooring option is also one of the most expensive and in some instances where the foot traffic is very high, this option requires occasional refining. Standing water is also anathema for hardwood floors. Thus they make good stylish flooring options for the living room, the foyer etc.
- Tiles: The biggest advantage of choosing this as a flooring option is the range and variety that is available. While tiles are quite easy to install, they need professional handling since the size of the area to be covered by the tiles actually defines its cost of installation. They are water-resistant, do not muffle sounds, can be quite cold in the winter seasons thereby prompting people with tiles to resort to heating systems thereby raising the utility bills. They also tend to get damaged and broken quite easily and thus need to be replaced since they cannot be easily repaired. The grouts in between two tiles need to be cleaned on a regular basis. Tiles make for a perfect flooring option for the kitchen, bathroom and even the dining room etc., where there is ample spillage of liquid and water since they are very easy to clean and maintain. Some of the popular varieties of tiles include marble, slate, granite, travertine, slate, porcelain etc.
- Laminated floors: The biggest advantage of this option is that it is almost scratch-free and can be made to simulate the looks of the other costlier flooring options. In fact designs can be imprinted onto the tiles too thereby making them acquire the look of hardwood, tiles, stone, etc. These are easy to maintain and are ideal for houses which experience a lot of foot traffic or have pets. But they are not able to withstand water which tends to damage the laminated tiles. Once damaged these tiles cannot be repaired or refinished and need to be replaced immediately. Thus they are good for installation around the whole house barring the kitchen, bathroom etc., where water is extensively used.
- Carpet: They are good to look at, give a warm feeling underfoot, muffle sounds and are quick to install even over sub-floors which are uneven. The price of the carpet varies with the type, texture, padding etc., or the carpet chosen. Thus it offers a good variety to select from and once installed, helps to enhance the beauty of the room. But they get stained easily and are also difficult to clean properly thereby aggravating problems faced by people with allergies. Yet it is still considered to be ideal for rooms with light traffic like the bedrooms etc., because of the cozy warmth that it imparts.
- Vinyl: This option is relatively inexpensive; it helps to muffle sounds and also feels good underfoot. But vinyl tends to get dented and tears very easily and can be quite a challenge to clean. Its water resistant nature, however, makes it an ideal flooring option for the laundry room, the bathroom, kitchen etc.
- Cork: This is a green flooring option which feels very good underfoot, is a good insulator and has microbial properties which make this a safe natural flooring option to implement. But it tends to fade when direct sunlight falls on it over a period of time and is also not water resistant.
- There is no dearth of the availability of flooring option especially in Calgary. With an eye for beauty, most home-owners here ensure that their homes become the envy of all while at the same time gathering reluctant praise from all concerned.