While the actual carpet selection is based on the types, texture, colour, size etc. these are factors which need to be taken care of during the actual process of selection. On the other hand there are certain things which need to be determined beforehand but which we tend to overlook. These overlooked factors have the ability to negate even the best of the carpet selections. Thus it is better to do one’s homework before actually embarking on a carpet buying expedition.
There are also times when buyers tend to get confused by the different characteristics and options available to them. In these instances a buyer might make a wrong selection thereby causing a total waste of money and time. This can be prevented by understanding and equipping oneself with the positive characteristics of a carpet even before going to the carpet store. Some of the characteristics which make carpets the perfect choice for homes are:
- Waterproofing: Carpets are known for their lack of waterproofing skills. In fact liquids are considered to be anathema for carpets but this is all in the past. Today modern technologies like Lifeguard backing, R2X etc., have made it virtually impossible for liquids to soak through the carpet fibres. They are forced to stay on the surface thereby making it easier to simply mop up the spills. In fact some fibres even have the ability to repel spills. Thus this is an important item to consider before heading for the carpet store.
- Air quality: While it is a common belief that carpets tend to have a negative impact on the air quality of the room, looking at it from another perspective shows that carpets actually improve the air quality. This is because, gravity tends to make the dust, dirt and allergens settle down on the carpet and become trapped in its fibres. Vacuuming the carpet using a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner once a week facilitates the complete removal of the same thereby ensuring improvement in the air quality of the room. Understanding this will ensure that no buyer gets duped by a carpet store using terms and technicalities to explain otherwise.
- Insulation: Most people consider doors and windows to be the only accessories to impact utility bills by enabling or preventing the flow of cool air into the room. But attention is rarely paid to the carpet which is also a great source of insulating warmth. In fact a carpet with a thick pile makes for a great feel underfoot with its cosy warmth and cushioning effect. This cushioning effect holds true even in the summer months and ensures comfort while walking. This makes carpet an ideal choice for both summer and winter months thereby ensuring their utility throughout the year.
- Comfort: This is one factor which endears carpets to almost everyone. While it gives a very comfortable feel, it also entices people to sit on the floor and enjoy its soft feel. Hence it is important to choose a carpet which has a soft and plush padding so that the advertised comfort of the carpet can be taken advantage of. This is one of the things every buyer should give priority to even before they head towards a carpet store.
- Acoustics: Most carpets have the ability to absorb sounds emanating from pounding steps, dropping objects, home theatre systems etc. Thus installing a carpet ensures that the room is almost sound proof thereby ensuring a peaceful and calm atmosphere in the room. Multi-level homes and high-rises or skyscrapers benefit heavily from a carpet’s ability to absorb sound.
- Recycle: With green technology impacting almost every aspect of our lives, carpets too are manufactured in a way that they are recyclable. Thus carpets installed can be easily recycled and new carpets installed in their place when the need so arises. The ability to recycle also helps to reduce waste and makes for a positive environmental impact.
Carpets are great options for flooring irrespective of whether the ones installed are wall to wall or consist of assorted rugs placed strategically across the room. In fact other than insulation and comfort, they also help to protect other flooring options from wear and tear by providing a cover for those floor spaces which experience heavy traffic. Thus buying a good carpet is mandatory to ensure that the buyer is able to take full advantage of the same.