Carpet flooring with its many different patterns and bright vibrant colours can brighten up any room in which they are installed. But the presence of dirt streaks and stains has a tendency of reappearing if they are not cleaned properly. Also the methods of cleaning a carpet floor are so delicate that if not done in the correct manner, they can cause considerable damage to the carpet itself.
Mistakes to avoid during carpet cleaning
The most common mistakes which homeowners with carpet flooring make while cleaning carpets are:
- Excessive scrubbing: People have a general tendency to scrub clean a stain which appears on the carpet. But excessive scrubbing can be very harmful for the carpet which might also acquire permanent damage from it and should thus be avoided at all costs. The best way to clean a stain off a carpet is to blot it.
- Slow reaction: Stains when they appear on the carpet should not be allowed to stay on for long. In fact they should be cleaned as soon as they appear. The longer the stain is allowed to stay on the carpet, they greater are the chances of it
- Becoming permanent and difficult to clean and
- Seeping into the pad beneath thereby giving rise to bad odour and moulds.
- Bad cleaning products: Since carpets are made up of many different materials like wool, fibre, nylon, etc., the cleaning products to be used on them also differ. It is however common for homeowners to think that any and all carpet cleaning products available in the market can be used on all types of carpets. The use of inappropriate cleaning products can lead to discolouration of the carpet and even damage it further.
- Deodorizing powders: While these powders can be very effective for removing any odours persistently emanating from the carpet, they should not be used as a substitute for cleaning. This is because the presence of the powder on the carpet can also cause quite a build-up on the carpet base thereby dirtying it further.
- Never avoid professional cleaning: Carpets easily attract dust, dirt and other small debris and need to be vacuumed regularly. But even this is not sufficient in itself and carpets need to be professionally cleaned once every one to two years. This makes the carpet retain its beauty and strength much longer and also helps to ensure that the room air quality remains free from allergens.
- Always test cleaning products: Most homeowners with carpet flooring tend to use cleaning products bought from the market directly onto the carpet itself. This should be avoided at all costs since in case of a damage, it becomes irreversible and a sore sight. It is thus important for all chemicals and other cleaning products used to be tested on a patch of the same material to see its action or reaction before actually using it on the carpet itself.
- Overuse of cleaners: Homeowners have a tendency to overuse chemical carpet cleaning products available in the markets with the hope that it will clean the carpet better. But this too results in a build-up of residue s on the carpet pad thereby causing further damage to it over a period of time.
Carpets are delicate things and need to be handled with a lot of care and concern. However the beauty and warmth it imparts to a room justifies the efforts put in for its cleaning.