Environmental concerns have given rise to a spate of measures which are aimed at ensuring that there is reduced impact on the environment. One such measure is the use of green materials for construction of residential and commercial buildings. Green buildings have gained immense popularity and architectural designs ensuring the presence of natural elements within the house have become quite a common feature. This has subsequently resulted in the use of reclaimed wood for use as flooring material.
Advantages of reclaimed wood
Literally speaking it is wood which was recovered from its previous use. Thus each reclaimed wood comes with its own unique history and use and this further add to the mystery and romance of using reclaimed wood. Of course this wood also has many practical benefits and advantages which makes it a popular green choice today and ensures that it will remain so for many more years to come.
Some of the important benefits and advantages of using recycled or reclaimed wood are:
- Environmental benefits: Wood is obtained from trees which take many years to grow and mature enough to be able to yield wood. Hence by using reclaimed wood these trees get the requisite time period for growing up and attaining their full length before they are cut. This will also ensure that there is no gap between the demand and supply of hardwood planks and boards. Environmentally this translated into more oxygen, lesser carbon-di-oxide, better rains, cooler climates etc. In fact even animals and birds benefit from the presence of flourishing trees.
- Wider in breadth: The demand for wood is so high today that trees are cut down even before they attain their full length. Thus they have a narrower girth which results in planks of narrow breadths thereby requiring more wood to fill up a room and increasing its cost. On the other hand reclaimed wood has a wider breadth since they have been processed from full-grown trees in the previous years. Thus the total number of planks or boards required for a room is also less thereby causing considerable savings of money.
- Character: Hardwood tends to age gracefully. Thus reclaimed wood by virtue of its age acquires a character of its own which has an old-world charm and beauty of its own. Thus they look better on the floor and also impart an aura, a character to the room. Themes and designs drawn around this reclaimed wooden floor impart an elegance and welcoming warmth to the room which is always appreciated by family and friends.
- Strength and durability: The fact that reclaimed wooden planks and boards tend to be come seasoned with time increases both their strength and durability. Thus they tend to last longer, require only the minimum of maintenance, experience little or no damage due to daily and seasonal changes in the weather and are absolutely dried out. Thus even moisture has no effect on reclaimed wood making them one of the most inexpensive and aesthetic alternate available.
- Variety of use: Reclaimed wood can be used for a variety of purposes including wall panelling, flooring, making counter tops, shelves, tables, cabinets etc. Thus its use is not restricted to one purpose as is the case of the new wooden planks available wherein floors can only be made of hardwood, doors, fencing wall boards from chestnut wood, walnut wood for furniture etc. This increases its use and also gives people value for money.
- Old world charm: Most reclaimed wood today comes from houses built years ago probably in the Victorian times or Gregorian times. Thus they have a mystery surrounding their use which when known makes for great story telling sessions. Of course there is a romance attached to knowing that a piece of reclaimed wood used probably came from one of the houses graced by one of royalty or one which has been a witness to an event in history. Thus reclaimed wood has both aesthetic and historic beauty which makes it quite interesting and appealing.
- Great for restoration projects: It is generally very difficult to match the character and essence of a building restoration project. But reclaimed wood can be easily used for a variety of purposes in a restoration project.
The uniqueness of reclaimed wood also lies in its authenticity. The prominence of the grains of reclaimed hardwood is very difficult to emulate and match. Thus wherever used, these reclaimed wood planks and boards impart a character and warmth that is unique in its beauty and quality.