Hardwood floors have an elegance and charm that stays intact for generations if they are properly maintained and taken care of. Thus it makes sense to spend time in choosing the right variety of hardwood floor one wants to install in their house and also the colour of the hardwood floor tiles installed.
The choice of the hardwood floor tile attains even more importance since the effect of the same will have a bearing on the whole décor and ambience of the room. For houses which are being newly constructed, it is easy to visualise the interiors of the room since both the concept and design get the needed flexibility. But remodelling a house and the installation of a new hardwood floor in it can entail looking at minute details so as to ensure that the colour of hardwood floor selected matches with the present room décor.
Some points which need to be kept in mind when choosing a hardwood floor colour are:
- Colour of the other essentials: These include the colour of the walls, furniture, doors and windows etc. i.e. the colour which dominates the room or prevails upon the room thereby creating the required atmosphere. The colour of the hardwood to be chosen needs to be in sync with this predominant colour. Any clash of colours will lead to a discordant atmosphere prevailing in the room and making it seem out of character.
- Large open areas: Flooring seems to be the dominating factor of large open spaces. Thus the colour chosen should be such that it enhances the character of the room by drawing attention to its flooring. Deep colours of hardwood flooring generally help to add character to the room and also make it glow with a welcoming warmth.
- Small room: More often than not, small rooms present in a house are equipped with limited supply of natural lights. For rooms with limited natural brightness, the choice of light coloured hardwood tiles helps it over its sense of gloomy doom thereby brightening up the room. Alternatively small rooms with light coloured walls and ample entry of natural light appear naturally bright. Choosing dark coloured hardwood tiles for the same help impart a contemporary and modern look to it.
- High traffic areas: Areas experiencing high amount of foot traffic or a favourite haunt of kids and pets tend to get scratched and dented very easily. Hardwood floors with these tend to look very shabby and may even be the cause of embarrassment for those living in the house. Hence in order to hide these imperfections, it is best to choose hardwood tiles of natural wood colour, not having a glossy finish. This helps to blend in the scratches and dents thereby adding a graceful character to the hardwood tiles.
- Use samples to compare: What is seen in catalogues does not generally get translated into reality. This is very apt for hardwood tiles and the only way to ensure that a person gets what he sees is to bring home samples of hardwood tiles of the chosen colour and compare them with the wall colour or the colour of the furniture etc., which is present in the room. This will help the house owner to ascertain that he actually gets the hardwood colour that he is so keen on and the hardwood tiles make a perfect match with the other things present in the room.
- Maintenance requirements: This is perhaps the most important aspect of choosing a hardwood floor colour. Both light, dark and neutral colours of hardwood tiles acquire the same amount of scratched and dents and even accumulate the same amount of dirt, dust, debris and sand. But the maintenance methods used and the frequency with which they are used tend to differ for different shades of hardwood floor tiles. Thus light coloured hardwood tiles need to be cleaned with more regularity than dark coloured hardwood. Hence the daily maintenance pattern which needs to be adopted for the hardwood floor colour chosen needs to be discussed with the seller before making the final choice.
Hardwood floors are eternal; they are evergreen and they have a natural sophistication and charm which is almost unmatched. Thus choosing the right colour combination of hardwood tiles and the other items of the room not only enhances the beauty of a room but also gives it welcoming warmth thus making family members and guests feel comfortable the moment they enter the room or the house in general.