Buying a carpet seems like a daunting task to many but selection of a carpet retailer is a task which needs even more deliberation and research. This is because it is the carpet retailer who will ensure good quality of carpets as well as proper before and after sales service. Selection of the carpet retailer is actually based on certain criteria or requirements which he needs to fulfil. It does not help to overlook these since they form the basis of good carpet installation as well as better returns on the money invested.
Another reason why it is important to interact with a good carpet retailer is that the right carpet sales team and a good installation crew would facilitate:
- An enjoyable shopping experience and
- A hassle free carpet installation.
An incorrect choice would only result in unhappy and unsatisfactory experience and cost a lot of money by way of repairs and replacement of the carpet installed. Some questions which a carpet buyer should mandatorily ask carpet retailers in order to make the correct choice are:
- Business experience: Carpet installation is a task wherein experience improves the quality of the output. Hence the more experienced a carpet retailer is the better will be the installation of the carpet. Experience also enables a retailer to anticipate and deal with problems and situations that are likely to arise while at the same time offer valuable advice relevant to the customer seeking to buy a carpet. Thus experience makes a carpet retailer trustworthy and dependable.
- Price: There are times wherein prices are offered at a discount as a strategy to lure customers into buying carpets from a particular retailer. But it is very important to know and understand the fine print associated with such a discounted price. Hence a customer should clearly ask for the break-up of the price being quoted and the ensure that the price quoted cumulatively includes the cost of delivery, under pad, cushions included and installation. When carpeting staircases, the price quoted should also include the removal and proper disposal of the current carpet, if any, and the need to move furniture, if the situation so demands. Another point which deserves a mention here is the need for knowing whether the price quoted is calculated as cost per square yard or square foot of carpeting area.
- Installation: Even before going through the whole exercise of selecting a carpet, it is necessary to make sure that the carpet retailer will use his team to do the installation of the same. Sub-contracting the same can, at times, lead to unnecessary and unavoidable problems which had best be kept at bay. Thus all queries and discussions with regards to the buying and installation of the carpet should be handled by one person only. This makes for a smooth carpet buying and installing experience.
- Insurance: It is very important for the carpet retailer hired to have the necessary bonds and insurance policies in place. These factors act as insurance for the buyer who can take relevant action if the carpet is not to his satisfaction or the installation has not been done as per the parameters of the contract. Instances of damages caused to the buyers or homeowner’s property while in the process of installation of the carpet can also be compensated using the insurance and bonds that a carpet retailer has. This is a very important criteria which needs to be mandatorily fulfilled. Any retailer not having insurance or bonds should be religiously avoided.
- References: These help to cement the belief of the buyer in the carpet retailer. While it is not possible to tour houses wherein the retailer has worked previously, it is possible to go through the photos and videos that the retailer has of his previous work. In fact every carpet retailer has something called a “brag book” wherein he likes to showcase work done previously. Another way of verifying the authenticity of a retailer is by actually going to one who has been recommended by a friend or colleague who has previously experienced the kind of work that the retailer does.
Carpet buying and installation is an expensive exercise; one which should be given its due diligence so as to avoid unpleasantness and financial loses later on. Thus any carpet retailer should only be chosen on the basis of his fulfilment of the above criteria to make the whole experience emotionally and financially viable.