Serving a wide variety of purposes right from being a comfortable place to sit to being used as an insulator, a carpet flooring also helps to make the room look elegantly beautiful. The patterns embossed in these carpets make for stunning pieces of art which will rarely go unappreciated. However, there are certain points which need to be kept in mind when opting for a carpet flooring like:
- Fibres used: The fibre used plays a very important role in the functionality of the carpet. Hence fibre selection should be done based on the purpose for which the carpet is being bought. Fibres generally used in carpet weaving include:
- Nylon which is without doubt the most durable, resilient and maintenance free fibre present today. Thus nylon carpets last long and are a great buy especially for
-> Areas which experience heavy foot traffic and
-> Homes having kids and pets
- Triexta which is a relatively new fibre partly derived from corn starch and has great anti-staining properties. It is also extremely resilient. Though it has yet to be tested for durability, it makes a great buy especially for homes filled with either kids or pets or both.
- Polyester which is a stain resistant fibre famous for its vibrant colours and luxurious feel. But it lacks durability as it is prone to shedding, thus making it harder to clean and maintain. It can only be utilised in spaces with little or no traffic and does not gel at all with pets or kids.
- Olefin is a strong fibre absolutely resistant to fading but it has relatively much less resilience. Even though it is stain, mildew and stain resistant, its make makes it easier to conceal dirt thus making it harder to clean.
- Carpet styles: Some of the common types of carpet styles currently in vogue are:
- Saxony which goes extremely well with the utility and decor of a living room. But it also has a tendency to show marks and footprints and should thus be used for places with low foot traffic.
- Textured cut piles are characterised by a single coloured yarn and tufts of varying heights. It sports a two-toned appearance which enables it to act as a concealer wherein dirt, footprints and marks can be easily hidden. It is great for use in living rooms experiencing heavy traffic.
- Frieze is the most expensive and durable cut pile which can last for decades on end, if maintained properly.
- Sculptured is made from looped tufts as well as non-looped tufts and make for an economical as well as durable buy.
- Berber or looped is elegant and wears better but is difficult to clean and repair.
- Quality: The quality of the carpet should be checked based on the following criteria:
- The face-weight or the exact number of fibre ounces used for every square yard should range from 20oz to 80 oz.
- The tuft twist should be of 5inches or higher since a higher tuft directly translates into higher durability.
- Density or the thickness of the fibre should have a rating of more than or equal to 2000 as a denser carpet is indicative of its superior quality.
- The texture retention warranty should be of at least 10years.
Selection of carpet for flooring should always be done after taking into account all the above criteria since there is a huge financial component involved. The choices offered might seem overwhelming but taking a little time out and doing your homework will make this buying process easier. It will also enable you to buy a carpet which will continue to service your home for years to come.