Tiles are beautiful to look at and easy to install. They can be used to make unique designs which add to the elegance of the room by blending in with its decor. The shine of a tiled floor reflects ample amount of light to make the room look brighter and even more inviting.
Practically speaking tiles are a good option for all types of rooms, right from bathrooms to bedrooms, kitchen to
living room and even hallways, staircase etc. They are also easy to care for and maintain. In fact with some small things taken care of daily, tiles can be made to retain their shine for years on end.
Some dos of tile cleaning
Some ways in which to take care of a tiles floor are:
- Tiles need to be cleaned off all dirt and dust before applying any cleaning product. This can be easily done by sweeping or vacuuming a tiled floor on a daily basis and damp-mopping it at least once a week. For areas experiencing heavy traffic, damp-mopping needs to be done with a more frequent regularity.
- In case of applying cleaning agents, a small area needs to be tested for floor compatibility with the agent. Application for the whole of the tiled area should be done only after checking to see if there are any negative reactions to the same.
- The application of the tile cleaner should be followed by giving the area either a good rinse, if possible or wiping the area clean with a damp mop. This is to ensure that no residue of the tile cleaner is left on the floor since this might have a damaging effect on it.
- Glazed tiles need to be cleaned by:
- Using a non-oil based floor cleaner which is also equally effective on the grout joints,
- The application of a multi-purpose spray cleaner so as to remove the soap scum, mildew or even hard water deposits on the tiles of the bathroom specifically.
- Non-glazed tiles need to be cleaned by using:
- Tile cleaners which are concentrated with neutral pH regularly so as to remove grease and other normal spills,
- A non-abrasive cleaner should be used to prevent any damage to the tiles.
Some don’ts of tile cleaning
However, the following things should be kept in mind when cleaning a tiled floor like:
- Tile cleaners containing acids should never ever be used on a tiled floor.
- Wax based cleaners or even oil based detergents should be avoided at all cost.
- Sealants should only be used on the joints and not the tiles itself.
- Cleaning aids used should not contain metals and should be non-abrasive. Hence steel wool or any other scouring pad which contains metals should be strictly avoided.
- Colour cleaners should never be used on unglazed tiles.
The above given practical points are not very difficult to follow on a regular basis. This is what makes tile cleaning and maintenance an easy but crucial job, one which will decide the fate of the tiles installed on the floor.