Hardwood flooring can add elegance to your home and it is sometimes so expensive that you don’t want to spend more money on the installation. If you are not taking the flooring as a package deal where installation is also included, you can always do the installation by yourself. However, there are certain norms that would make the installation perfect. You will require some tools and follow some guidelines to make everything as perfect as possible.
Which Hardwood Flooring You Shall Choose
Before you can go ahead with the hardwood floors installation you shall first get an idea on which one is better to choose. There are two options available in the market. Solid wood floorings are rather real and they are not that easy to install. They are also quite costly compared to engineered ones. The engineered ones are easy to install. They look more like plywood when you look at their layers. These are more stable and thus are easy to install.
Know The Factors That Are Related To Hardwood Flooring
There are certain things you need to know before you make your choice on hardwood flooring. The first one is the heat and humidity as both affect the flooring type. So before you can install the flooring you shall give it some time to adjust to the humidity and temperature of your house. This means you shall remove the packaging and store the wood for several days at the place where they have to be installed. It is like making the wood acquainted to the condition they are going to stay in.
If you are installing the flooring on concrete slab make sure the slabs are at least 60 days old and completely dry. When you are installing it on a subfloor for getting a raised surface, make sure that the subfloor is clean and dry. They must be structurally quite sound, flat and squeak free.
Before you can take delivery of the hardwood flooring make sure that your home is prepared for the same. You have to abide by the mentioned guidelines above and then take the delivery according to your convenience.
The Tools Your Need
You need to cut and fasten the hardwood flooring in position. For this reason you need to have proper cutter specially made for wood cutting. You can use a power saw for the same. Finishing nail and hammer is required to fasten the flooring.
Coming To The Installation Part
- Before you can install the hardwood flooring, it is important to do the marking as properly as possible. You shall know which direction the flooring shall be installed and the position of the same. Starting from the exterior wall will be the best possible option available. That wall in most case is the longest.
- Use the power saw you have purchased to rip the flooring. Cutting the board face down will make it better. Take the proper measurement so that you don’t get problem while fitting them. Portable saber saw can be used when the cuts have to be rounded or irregular.
- In order to fit the flooring in place you require face nailing and blind nailing. Power nailing equipment and hammer are required to make the required fitting. Pre drilling the pieces of wood is the primary requirement while fitting them.
- Use the straight board for the first three rows. This will make the job easy for the following rows.
- When you are ending the installation make sure that the end is staggered by at least six inches. Cut boards to fit at the end of every installation.
While it is possible to do the hardwood flooring installation all by yourself it is also important to read the guide and if possible check some pictures of the installation before you begin.