Hardwood floors look absolutely great in any home and they can give the interior of your home a natural and luxurious feel. However, the problem with hardwood floors is that, as they start getting old, they often lose their new sheen and glamour, becoming dull and matte. If you are worried about how to keep the hardwood floor of your home clean and shiny so that it stays intact for long, here are some tips to help you out. If you clean and maintain the hardwood floors regularly in the right way, hardwood can retain its new look for years. So, just read on to know how to clean it properly and keep it shiny.
The basic cleaning routine
You need to keep your hardwood floor completely clean from the very day it has been installed. Dust can cause scratches on the hardwood which will surely hamper the look. In order to keep your hardwood floor clean you need to follow the below mentioned cleaning routine,
- Sweep the hardwood floor twice a day with a fine bristle broom to remove any dirt and dust from the floor.
- Once you are done sweeping the floor, use a vacuum cleaner for cleaning the joints between the hardwood planks. These joints are a favorite place for the dust and dirt to get stuck, so using a vacuum cleaner particularly on these areas can keep the joints really clean.
- After the floor is completely clean from dust and dirt it is the time to opt for wet mopping. Soak a soft cotton cloth in fresh water and wring it well so that there is no excess water in the cloth.
- Mop the floor softly with this damp cloth in the direction of the natural grains of the woods. In case there is any water remaining on the floor after moping, follow with a dry cloth that can absorb the water completely.
- Finally you need to buff the floor with a clean and soft cloth in order to remove any white cast and water stain form the floor and to restore the natural sheen of the hardwood.
Dry sweeping the floor twice a day can do the job of keeping it clean and well maintained. Following the sweeping with a damp cloth can be done on alternate days or depending on the footfall in the room.
Using a floor cleaner properly
Hardwood floors need to be cleaned with a floor cleaning agent at least once in a month or in two weeks. As far as choosing the particular agent for cleaning is concerned, it is always best to stick to the recommendations of the supplier. However, while using a cleaner on the hardwood floor, always keep the following things in mind,
- Never put the cleaner directly on the floor or on any part of the floor. Even the recommended cleaners for hardwood floor can damage it if sprayed in full concentration.
- The right way ofusing a cleanser on hardwood floor is to mix the cleanser in mentioned quantity with 1/3rd bucket of plain water and then to use the water for mopping and cleaning the floor.
- You can use the cleanser on hardwood floor in the mentioned way only after the floor has been swept and is completely free from dust, dirt and debris.
- After you are done using the cleaner always make it a point to buff the surface of the floor with a soft, clean and dry sponge. This will keep the shine intact.
One of the easiest tricks to clean the hardwood floors of your home quickly and to add a shine to it is to use olive oil for cleaning the floor. It will add a natural shine to the floor and will also work for conditioning the hardwood. However, always follow with a dry cloth after 30 minutes to remove any excess oil.