If you are thinking of renovating your home and at the same time wanting to go green, then natural stone is the best option for you. Traditionally known to be a durable, water-resistant flooring option with high functionality, stone tiles also have an innate elegance and class which they impart to rooms where they are used.
Different types of natural stone tiles
Depending on the material used stone tiles tends to differ both in their place of use and functionality. Each stone is unique in its characteristics and looks and offers a wide variety of choices with regards to its texture, tone and looks. Some of the stone tiles which are today considered popular choices with homeowners looking for both renovation and remodelling are:
• Marble: These start off as limestone but metamorphose on the way to become the beautiful crystalline rocks that we generally see. Available in a lot of colours and hues, some of which are quite unique, marble can be polished to a high perfection and gloss. Marble is best used for floors, vanity tops, backsplashes, tub surrounds, pastry surfaces etc.
• Granite: The uniqueness of granite lies in its salt and pepper appearance which is due to the different mineral flecks found within it. Granite is also unmatched in its durability and extremely difficult to stain making it a good choice for fireplace surrounds, pastry surfaces, kitchen countertops etc.
• Limestone: These are available in a variety of colours and quality. However, even though pieces that are hard and dark can be polished, the softer variety does not take on a polish. Still this stone is a good choice for kitchen and bathroom floors, entryways etc.
• Onyx: This stone can be easily distinguished by its translucency and can be polished to a high gloss making them extremely suitable as vanity tops, bathtub surrounds and other such ornamental places.
• Slate: This stone formed from ancient clay of sea-beds, has a matte finish and comes with a cleft pattern that is quite distinctive. This stone is a good alternative for kitchen countertops, floors etc.
Advantages of using stone tiles
Stone tiles have certain advantages when they are used for renovations and remodelling homes and commercial complexes. They are:
• Long lasting: Stone tiles have a much longer life than any other flooring alternative. They are incredibly strong and extremely hard and can withstand the ravages of both nature and human use very easily.
• Easy maintenance: Usually a good sweep or vacuuming followed by a wet mop keeps it looking clean and shiny. Annually replacing the sealant is a good way to retain the utility of these tiles over generations.
• Naturally cool: These stone tiles are naturally cool and this makes it a better choice for places which experience hot summers.
• Reflects ample radiant heat: Stone radiates heat quite well thereby increasing its utility even in cold places which require heaters in winter.
• Safe and healthy: Since they can be easily cleaned on a daily basis, stone tiles help to keep away allergens which might otherwise hamper the health of people living with it.
• Wide utility: The fact that stone tiles can be used both indoors and outdoors increases its utility and versatility.
Stone tiles might be a bit more expensive than the other options available but this cost gets negated over a period of time due to its very low maintenance costs. Thus, all things considered, stone tiles are definitely a good choice for renovating your homes and making them look even more beautifully inviting.