Hardwood floors are elegant; they are beautiful and have an old world charm that few can resist. Imparting welcoming warmth to the rooms and homes where they are present, hardwood floors also give value for money as the years go by. But its shine and newness tends to get jaded with constant use thereby making it look dull and listless. With proper care, however, this shine and lustre can be maintained and brought back to hardwood floors.
Some rules to follow
There are however certain dos and don’ts that you needs to follow on a regular basis in order to keep your hardwood floor looking new like:
• It is always better to clean hardwood floors naturally. Chemical cleaners might seem effective but they contain toxic chemicals which might be safe in the long run.
• Taking shoes off before entering a room with hardwood flooring is a good option.
• Using throwaway rugs and carpets in those areas which see heavy footfall prevent permanent damage to hardwood floors.
• Using a wet or a steam mop tends to dull the polish of hardwood floors faster than anything else and should thus be avoided.
• Hardwood floors should never be over-waxed.
• Using protectors under the legs of tables and other furniture prevents scratching of the floor. These protectors should, however, be replaced regularly so as to prevent accumulation of dirt and grime on them and damaging the floor.
• During winter, it is best to use a humidifier regularly so as to minimise gaps which might occur.
• It is always better to pick up furniture for moving instead of sliding them on hardwood floors.
Cleaning hardwood floors
Cleaning hardwood floors regularly is a very important part of its maintenance. In order to ensure your floor stays clean and shiny, the following processes need to be followed.
• Hardwood floors need to be either swept or dust mopped daily paying special attention to areas which are prone to heavy traffic like entryways, hallways etc. This will help remove the surface dirt from the floor.
• Then equal parts of vegetable oil and white vinegar need to be freshly mixed for cleaning the floor. This cleaner if kept waiting in a bottle the solution might separate and the oil might go rancid thereby damaging the floor extensively.
• Using a soft mop and this cleaner, hardwood floors need to be mopped once a week. The cleaner needs to be sprayed on the floor and then mopped into it. In this way the vinegar will remove any dirt that is still present on the floor and the vegetable oil will help retain its shine by preventing the wood from drying.
• Using a dry mop to dry the floor in a circular motion after this helps to buff it up as well as remove any extra cleaning residue that might be present on the floor.
This is a simple routine but following it regularly is an inexpensive way of making your hardwood floor shine for years on end. A shiny and lustrous clean hardwood floor adds to the charm of the room by enhancing its decor and ambience and winning appreciations and accolades.