Every home has a flooring need. While hardwood is the obvious choice as far as flooring is concerned, it is way too costly compared to other flooring options and thus people prefer to use other flooring that may be comparatively cheap. But at the same time they have to compromise with the quality as well as the look. With the new technology bringing so many changes in the interior designing of the home, new options are now available to choose. One such option is cork flooring.
What is cork flooring?
Cork flooring is made from the same cork that you find in the medicine bottle and wine bottle but the treatment is quite different. The cork is originally harvested from “Quercus suber” tree. It is the bark of the tree that is used in making the cork. The tree is also known as cork oak tree and has a life span of around 250 years. It is green flooring option in the sense that the tree is stripped off its bark after every 25 years. It does not die due to this and there is no harm to the nature if you use the bark for your requirement. The process of harvesting is repeated every nine to ten years without having any severe damage to the health of the tree. This is because only 50% bark of the tree is removed while harvesting.
Why Have Cork Flooring?
Cork flooring is quite natural and it is eco-friendly too. The harvesting process is good too and that does not hamper the health of the tree. At the same time while producing the flooring, the virgin cork bark and the waste cork are made into granules and these granules are used to make the flooring. The waste of the whole thing is burned to produce heat that in turn supplies heat for the cork tiles.
If you think that burning cork will be dangerous for the nature you are absolutely wrong. This is because the substances present in the cork are such that they don’t emit any toxic gas. Suberin, is an element that is present in cork which stops it from getting burnt. At the same time the element is also natural insect repellent. This means when you have cork flooring at home, your home will be safer from insects and other such germs and bacteria. Cork is always known for containing allergen.
Benefits of Having Cork Floor
- One of the major benefits of having a cork floor is that it is pollution free. No pollution is there when it is made and the home remains free from pollution when it has cork flooring.
- It looks really great. If you have seen any cork flooring you will see that the finishing is quite perfect and there is no place where it can be short of hardwood.
- The flooring is easy to clean and maintain. You will have to wipe away any spill immediately. This is the least possible work you will have to do in case you want to have cork flooring at your home. Damp mop is enough to clean the floor.
- The cork that is used in the flooring is quite durable and elastic. Being elastic adds to the fact that they are durable too.
- Cork flooring feels warm under your feet and it is also a good insulator of cold and heat.
- Even if the floor is damaged, you can always repair your cork flooring. It is just that easy.
- You will be at peace that you have installed an eco-friendly flooring option and contributing to the nature.
While purchasing cork flooring for your home, check for the prospectus for the specific requirement and offers provider by the user.